The Ultimate “What to Pack” Guide for Costa Rica
So you are wondering what to pack for your Costa Rican adventure. Well, you have come to the right place. After searching through hundreds of “what to pack” lists, and finding all of them lacking, we here at Tourrica.com came up with this, the ultimate “what to pack” guide for Costa Rica. This list will leave out the packing basics, i.e. toothbrush, underwear, etc., but does include the absolute must haves when packing for Costa Rica.
Section I. Clothing
- Warm Weather Clothing (look for moisture wicking / fast dry fabrics)
- Cool Weather Clothing (for the evenings)
- Evening Wear (skirts/dresses for women)
- Poncho and/or Travel Umbrella (it is a rainforest)
Section II. Shoes
- Good Pair of Walking Shoes (hiking boots, running shoes)
- Water Proof/River Shoes (Keens are highly recommended and can be used as multi-purpose footwear.)
If you don’t bring water shoes, bring two pairs of walking shoes. When one pair gets wet, you will thank me.
If you do get water proof/river shoes, make sure they are comfortable enough to take long walks in. Again, you will thank me.
Section III. Toiletries
- Any Special or Specific Lotion, Makeup, Face Wash, etc., that cannot be found at a common drugstore.
- Suntan Lotion (30+ highly recommended)
- Insect Repellent (a must)
- Tampons (for the women)
- Condoms (for the men)
Section IV. Accessories
- Hat (wide brimmed is recommended)
- Backpack/Daypack (a must)
- A Watch
- Extra Contact Lenses/Prescription Glasses (for those that need them)
Section V. In Your Wallet
- Copy of Passport (lock your passport in the hotel safe, and carry this when you are out and about)
- Drivers License (you need this to rent a car in Costa Rica)
- ATM/Credit Cards
- Phone Card
- Health Insurance Card (private hospitals take some US insurance plans)
Section VI. Electronics
- Three-to-Two Prong Adapter for Electrical Outlets (Costa Rica runs on the same 110volt system as the US, but most of their outlets do not have a ground)
- Travel Alarm Clock
- Digital Camera (a water proof camera for snorkeling and the beach is also a plus)
- Digital Camera Charger
- Extra Battery for your Digital Camera
- Extra Memory Card(s) for your Digital Camera
For some a laptop is a must on any vacation, but remember Costa Rica is about getting back to nature. Also, many places do not have wifi, so if you need to stay connected at all times check ahead with your hotel.
Section VII. Extras
- Plastic Bag(s) (for wet items)
- Guide Book (great fun when trying to identify animal species)